Welcome

In August of 2010, I finally got myself back in to a 5.0 Mustang. Its 1991 GT Convertible that needs a little work and a lot of TLC, Here is my progress on this project.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Interior Redux

Last weekend I started the refinishing of my interior,  My plan is to go with a black interoir with white accents, and replace the front seats with white and black racing seats.
I started with the door panels and rear 1/4 panels.

The door panels were removed and I took off the inserts and map pockets.  I left the speaker grills in place because of how they are attached,  they are very hard to get back on:



The panels were scrubbed with degreaser and left in the sun to dry"


Once dry,  they got 3 coats of adhesion promotor before I started the dying:


The panels got 3 coats of black, and the inserts got 3 coats of white:



Same procedure for the door pulls and arm rests:


after everything was dry,  the door panels were re-assembled.  I was very pleased with the outcome:


The rear 1/4s were next,  completely same process as the door panels:


The right rear 1/4 was broken in the area that holds the speaker grill in place,  so I got some black PVC sheet, heated it in the oven until it was soft and molded it to the right shape,  Its secured with plastic epoxy:


everything was left over night to completely dry and cure,  then back in the car the next day:



Overall Im really happy with the way it came out,  although right now its looks a little convoluted with cheap seat covers on the front seats and the dash and center console are still grey.

Next will be the dash and either redye or replace the carpet,  but thats another project for another weekend....  then hopefully the new seats will come for my birthday.


No comments:

Post a Comment